Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday and I am off!

Breakfast of tofu scramble and cream of buckwheat. I wanted to make a nutritious breakfast. This one has lots of protein, iron, and vitamin C.
Before...

After!

Bibingka
(Coconut rice desert)

3 cups sweet rice
1/2 can coconut milk
1 cup raw sugar with 2 Tbsp organic molasses combined (this is how you make brown sugar. You can also add 1 cup brown sugar instead if you do not want to make it)
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Preheat over to 350. Cook sweet rice in rice cooker. In a saucepan, combine coconut milk and half of the brown sugar mixture. Cook on medium until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir constantly or it will burn. Put cooked rice into a bowl. Reserving 1/2 cup of the coconut milk mixture, stir remainder and remaining brown sugar evenly into the hot rice. Pour into baking pan. Top with the reserved 1/2 cup coconut milk mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for five minutes to set topping. Cut and serve!


Dinner was a Tofurkey dog with some of my kimchi and avocado, lots of mustard and ketchup.

10 comments:

  1. i want a veggie dog...YUMMMMMMMM!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing coconuts are plentiful in Hawaii?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nelly- ya I really like the Tofurkey brand sausages.

    Shen- haha yes they are, but people are very stingy with them. I buy canned coconut milk a lot and then get coconuts for two dollars each in North Shore when I go out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany- Us too! Well my husband is part Filipino too so, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cream of buckwheat looks interesting. I've never seen it before, let alone tasted it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so many interesting recipes...the bibingka sounds delicious...and that scramble looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mangocheeks- I really like cream of buckwheat. I pretty much only decided to buy it so that I could use it as a source of iron.

    Rose- The sweet rice is so yummy. If you have access to sweet rice you should try making it. Super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm! that rice dish looks deliscious! im absotulely putting it on my todo list. anything with coconut is good to go in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have recently come to love rice desserts. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1st Jessica ;) - Try it! It's so yummy!

    2nd Jessica :D- It is great. I love coconut and I was craving something sweet and didn't have a lot to work with so...tada!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails