Sunday, July 18, 2010

Homemade Aloe Juice & Asparagus Soup

In my last post, I talked a little about aloe juice and then once I researched it some more, I decided to make my own! My parents have a humongous aloe plant in their yard, so they were more than happy to donate some aloe to me for my project. Aloe vera contains vitamins b1, b2, b6, C, niacinamide, choline, and 18 amino acids. I also heard that it has trace amounts of vitamin b12, but I am not certain of that.
First thing you need to do when picking your aloe is to pick the aloe leafs that are the biggest ones. The smaller ones aren't as old or as good. Once you have some big aloe leaves, wash them well and then cut each end off. Once the ends are cut, run your knife along the the sides of the aloe and take off that pocky side. Then slice the top off as close to the top as you can. The goal is to get as much of the clear inside of the aloe plant. That is the part you want. This is messy too guys, so just a heads up.
Once you have all the clear insides like I have in this bowl above, rinse them as well as possible. You want to get as much of the gooey sap off as possible. The yellow sap can be a diaretic or induce purging. Not pleasant. Even after you rinse the pulp as much as you can, they will still feel slimmy. What I do is fill the bowl with water and about 1/16 of a cup of white vinigar. For some reason, this works to get most of the rest of the sap off. Pour the water and vinigar out and then rinse all your pulp once more. This is a long process if you haven't noticed yet.
This was my finished result. I put my aloe pulp in the blender with the fruit of about 10-15 lychee and then poured it all into a mason jar. I drink 1-2 Tbsp mixed in with the fruit juice of your juice. Mango juice is ideal. Be sure to read up online about drinking aloe juice before you do anything. I have heard that you should not drink it if you are pregnant, nor should children drink it.

Next up...
Asparagus soup

1/2 a sweet onion, chopped
12 asparagus sticks, chopped
1/2 cup organic vegetable broth

Bring to boil and then simmer until asparagus is soft. Once soft, pour mixture into a food processor and pulse until smooth. In pan, melt together:

2-3 Tbsp Earth Balance butter
2-3 Tbsp organic white flour
Salt & Pepper to taste

Once this is melted together, add:

1/2 cup to 1 cup organic vegetable stock
your pulsed asparagus mixture
2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 to 1 cup lite soy milk

Taste test this to see if it needs anything else. This recipe can have many different kinds of additions so just have fun with it.
I baked some mochi for the topping on my soup.
This was my sad attempt at a nice picture. I added a dollup of Sour Supreme to make it a little creamier and my mochi squares. This was so tasty!


23 comments:

  1. Very interesting aloe juice tutorial. I have not seen that anywhere before. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, all that Aloe for free! I'll be looking for some tomorrow at Whole Foods. Do Lychees grow wild in Hawaii as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali- ya I thought I'd walk you guys through it, because I couldn't really find a step by step walk through either. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Shen- ya lychee pretty much grow wild here. They are kind of expensive to buy, but I have lots of people who give me for free :) let me know if you make some aloe juice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks tasty, the juice looks like hard work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asparagus soup looks yum! I REALLY wanna try mochi too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacy- I love creamy soup!

    Jenna- Do they sell sweet rice flour near you? If so, I can give you an easy mochi recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great info on the aloe; I've used the raw stuff on my face and I tried to eat some once, but didn't like the flavor...I know it's good for you though, so making a yummy juice with it sounds great.

    The asparagus soup sounds super good too; I love the mochi croutons...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. all the things you are cooking sound amazing.. this looks great oo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose- I can hardly taste it when I add another juice with it! I like the pulp too. The asparagus soup was very good and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carla- Thanks!Let me know if my ideas helped at all ;) I am making pizza tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! I tried some aloe drink a long time ago in high school and didn't like it, but I should probably try it again...tastes change! That soup looks wonderful; so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  12. youre getting creative! I would have never thought of making this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool that you can make your own Aloe juice...I'm jealous. :o) The soup sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dianne- The soup was great! And yea, tastes definitally change! I used to hate bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes and now that I'm vegan I love um all ;)

    Jessica- I always loved to experiment with things and cook. This project was fun but a pain in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle- Do they sell any aloe plants where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandmother had an aloe plant, and we'd squeeze the good for sunburn. So much better than the green stuff in the stores! Thanks for documenting the process of making juice -- so labor intensive but it looks like it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your aloe juice sounds wonderful, and with all those benefits, well worth the effort.

    Thanks for the yummy looking soup recipe, too :) I have never tried mochi, but did pick some up this weekend, and had no idea what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes we can find small aloe plants that you keep in the house. I don't suppose those would work would they?? They don't get very big. They are mainly used for topical use. I used to have one, but I moved it to a different location in my house and forgot to water it. It didn't survive. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jessica- Oh ya aloe is widely used over here in Hawaii too!

    Evergreen- I love aloe juice. Let me know what you end up doing with your mochi!

    Michelle- Aw your poor aloe plant :) I have killed quite a few plants in my life. You could probably use the indoor ones, but I would look up that specific type of aloe to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so impressed with your ingenuity. I can't believe so much goo comes out of there. I have asked several times at Christmas or birthdays for an aloe plant. I've also never heard of Mochi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never thought of making my own aloe juice.

    That aspargus soup looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hellooooo!!!!! Any Hawaiian vegans out there?????

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jenny- If they sell sweet rice flour where you live I will teach you how to make mochi!

    Dreaminitvegan- You have got to try it!

    Shen- I'm sorry! I just updated my blog now :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails