Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July & Kimchi

Happy 4th of July all my blogger friends! First I would like to show you a few pictures of Sonic, Nano and Panther.
In case you can't tell, someone is scared of fireworks.
So I will be hanging with him...
...all night.

These guys on the other hand could care less.

I started off the day with some zucchini and apple juice in my juicer. I like zucchini/apple juice better than cucumber/apple. It always makes me feel good to juice in the morning first thing. It's an awesome way to start off your day with some fresh fruits and veggies.
This was my lunch at the Thai restaurant in the food court. I had long rice and mild mixed vegetables with a veggie roll.
Tonight I decided to make kimchi, since I am going to be hanging out here all night. My boy Sonic is scared to death of fire works. He is a big baby. He is an outdoor dog, but one day out of the year, he pretty much becomes an indoor dog. I am just hoping that the fireworks aren't too crazy tonight. The less the better. Here are most of the ingredients for kimchi along with two cans of my favorite tea.
Cabbage Kimchi

1 chinese cabbage
Sea salt
1/4 cup mochiko (sweet rice flour)
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup red pepper powder, more to taste
1/2 cup garlic, food processed
1 in knob of ginger
1/2 cup green onions

Rinse the chinese cabbage well and then shake off as much access water as possible. Put sea salt on each layer of cabbage and outside of cabbage. Set aside and let it sit for 1 to 2 hours.
It will start to wilt.

While the cabbage is sitting, cook mochiko and water on stove until bubbling. Pour in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Add more ingredients to taste. Spread the kimichi paste onto each leaf of cabbage. Place in mason jars. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to 2 days to ferment. It all depends on your taste and how fermented you want it to be.

This was my dinner of a leftover garbanzo bean burger with veganese and avocado. Oh, and a little fresh dill of course.
This was suppose to be a pie, but didn't turn out well. Now, it is a parfait. Happy 4th!

14 comments:

  1. Yep, our pups fear the fireworks as well. We also get to enjoy gun shots year round. We live in red neck territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th! All your animals are so cute!

    Good call with the parfait-it looks so, so, so yummy and festive!

    And as for the Thai food-I could never eat enough! I'll eat it until I have a stomach ache its terrible! Mmm...Peanut sauce... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I love love love kimchi. I should try this! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shen- oh that sucks! I'm assuming your dogs are scared of guns too? Luckily here we don't have much of that.

    Jessica-Thanks! Yes Thai food is my favorite too! We have a Thai food truck in North Shore and it's awesome cuz the owner is a vegetarian. So he will make any of his dishes vegan for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacy- ya try making some! It's so eAsy! There is actually a YouTube video on how to make vegan kimchi too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zucchini in the juicer!??! Why haven't I thought of this before? Sounds good! The kimchi recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill- Oh you must try juiced zucchini! It's more...light then cucumber. Kind of like a fluffy drink! Add either pear or apple for a sweeter juice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Sonic...I think it probably hurts his ears too. :(

    Your juice combos always sound great...I would have never thought to juice a zucchini...very cool idea. The kimchi recipe is cool too...what you like to eat it with?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose- Ya, my poor baby. He's around 80 lb, but he can be the biggest baby. I laid with him for most of the evening until the fireworks stopped. I like kimchi with...hmmm...tofu dog, fried tofu, and "meat" product really. Or just out of the jar! It's fermented, so it has lots of good probiotics :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. my pup is so afraid of fireworks as well...i feel so bad for him...wish he knew the world wasn't ending...i feel so bad for them...

    i love kimchi...LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nelly- Ya it's so weird because Sonic just started being scared of them last year. I think he got really scared when a huge one went off and has been scared ever since. Poor pups. Have you ever made kimchi before? It's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nelly- Our poor pups :( I wish they weren't so scared. You really should make some kimchi! It's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails