Thursday, August 29, 2013

Coffee Kombucha

Coffee kombucha! Could there be a better combination? On a side note, I must be talking about kombucha a lot because my 17 month old has started saying "bucha, bucha, bucha". So, moving on with my story, I decided to take my beloved SCOBY for a dive into the world of coffee to see how she would like it....and guess what? She loves it!

For those unfamiliar, coffee kombucha is just as easy to make as tea kombucha. Just substitute coffee for your tea. A few recommendations I have are these:

  • Add at least 20 Tbsp of coffee while brewing your coffee for your kombucha. At least! More is ok too, but maybe no more than 25 Tbsp or it might start getting vinegary. 
  • Caffeinated coffee of course! Decaf will not work.
  • For an extra health benefit, you can use a low acidic coffee.
  • Taste test it early, maybe around 4 days just to see how much longer you want it to go. 
  • I find it WAY easier to make kombucha with a one gallon glass container with a spigot. This makes it a lot easier to taste test it and also to pour into mason jars when done. Also great for a continuous brew.  
  • Use organic sugar, one cup. This is pretty elementary though. 
One awesome thing I learned about coffee kombucha is how good it is for you! Think of the benefits of regular kombucha like probiotics, energy, fights disease, etc. Now think about your love for coffee. And what is the main problem with coffee? It is acidic! So here is the cool thing. Because kombucha is alkaline, it helps to level out the acidity in your coffee! Making it more alkaline. Woohoo!

So here is what I made with my first cup of coffee kombucha:


Mocha Coffee Komucha

I wanted a supercharged, superfood coffee and I think I have created it with this.

1 cup of 5 day old coffee kombucha (longer brewed better but I couldn't wait)
2 Tbsp cacao paste
3 Tbsp coconut milk
2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 Tbsp royal jelly
1/4 tsp medicinal mushroom powder (chaga, cordyceps, reishi)
Ice

Blend everything together with your Blendtec or Vitamix and enjoy!

Coffee Kombucha Float- just add a non dairy chocolate or vanilla ice cream with your coffee kombucha

What are your favorite things to add or make with kombucha???


5 comments:

  1. I am making coffee kombucha for the first time. It has been brewing about 14 days and has started to foam. It still tastes sweet. Do you think it might be ready??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed your blog posts! Will you be updating soon?

    Blessings from a fellow vegetarian Christian mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous kombucha drinkerMay 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM

    Kombucha is alkaline? I always find it acidic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know about Mocha Coffee Komucha. You have a nice bunch of information about it. Quite impressive. Thank you for sharing. I should try it someday.

    Regard
    Finn Felton

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the coffee with kombucha because here reishi, cordyceps and chaga, the medicinal mushroom, are used.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails