Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Places I ate recently, indian food and oats

I had "oats in a jar" for the first time. Finally! They are good but nothing special. I think I prefer muesli. It is a good idea to use up the remainder of your nut butters though. I had organic oats, peanut butter, maple syrup, chia seeds, maca powder, and almond milk in mine.


 I had some coffee, which I have been trying to stay away from lately. Turkish coffee to be exact. I love Turkish coffee. It is very strong and as thick as coffee can be as you can tell from the picture. It is made in an ibrik. I add raw sugar and cardamom to mine as well.  
I was feeling Indian food lately, so I made some samosas. Here are the ingredients I used:

Samosas

Vegan phyllo dough
2 russet potatoes (cooked, peeled and cut into cubes)
1 bag of organic peas and carrots
1/2 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 knob fresh ginger (minced)
2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander 
Salt
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne




Saute all ingredients in a pan until onions are translucent. Lastly, add:

4 Tbsp cilantro (chopped)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon


Roll ingredients into phyllo dough. Follow directions and roll into triangles or whatever shape you want. Triangles are easiest. Bake until golden brown.
My husband and I checked out a new place called Kona Grill for happy hour. Our bill for four appetizers and one margarita came out to only $20, so not too bad I thought. Above is a picture of vegetable sushi and my husband's sushi with fish I believe. It was good, nice and fresh.


These were avocado egg rolls with cilantro dipping sauce. They had a TON of avocado in them, which I loved. They were super good. One fun fact that I learned a while ago was that most egg rolls do not contain any egg. Weird huh? Good for us vegans though!


These are the vegetarian lettuce wraps at PF Changs. They were very tasty!


 These were from PF Changs as well. Vegetarian dim sum. I loved these, but they only give you three in your appetizer and I could have eaten 20!
Last recipe of the day is for lava flows. I made these on super bowl Sunday. 

Hawaiian Lava Flows

*This recipe is per glass*

5-6 fresh or frozen strawberries
1 shot rum (I used Bacardi Silver)

Blend and pour in glass.

Next, blend:
1 banana
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup coconut milk 
1 to 2 shots of Malibu original (depending on how strong you want)
Ice

Pour this into glass with strawberry mixture. Drink! I do not think that lava flows are known here in Omaha, because I mentioned it at work and no one knew what I was talking about. 

(I don't use creme de coco because it has bad preservatives. Just mix a couple Tbsp of raw sugar in your plain coconut milk and it's just as good & way better for you.)


...and Rahjah is meerkatting it up, looking at Panther over the ledge from the kitchen table. Good night all and I will have information on an awesome giveaway soon!

14 comments:

  1. I love PF Chang's lettuce wraps, but I haven't tried those dim sum.

    Lava flows and the avocado rolls look great! I like egg rolls when there's more filling than wrapper, and those look like they fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cofee is THICK! where do you find it? meerkatting it up!lololo good one:) very cute, he just does that on his own?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had never heard of lava flows, but they look beautiful.

    i love samosas but i've never made my own. your recipe sounds really good!

    that pic of rahjah is hilarious. he looks like a little man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you mentioned them, I have been extensively researching and obsessing on Lava Flows. Thanks so much for telling us about these.

    I call was Rahjah is doing 'Prairie Dogging'. So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had muesli, but I need to try it soon.
    That is some THICK coffee....wow
    All your food looks so good. I so want to go to a PF Changs!
    Rahjah is so adorable!!!
    Oh yeah, your lava flow sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much food that looks so delicious! I've been drinking less coffee but when I do I like it really strong and good.

    Thanks for the lava flow recipe my mother-in-law loves that drink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so much good stuff. I love that thick coffee, and it does look THICK!

    You always share the coolest recipes; love the lava flows...I'll have to make those next time we have some folks over.

    Rahjah does a great meerkat impression, or possibly a penguin impression; that is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture of Rahjah! So cute! The dim sum look really good. I've never been to a PF Changs, but now I know what to order if I ever am at one! The egg rolls made my stomach grumble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the Frankie Katti Rolls, they are truly yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no clue what the black stuff in the mug was until I read it! That coffee is thick! Holy Cow!
    I totally love smoothies with kale, btw, thanks for teaching me that nice little trick via your blog posts! I have a smoothie every day now! yum! oh and I tried the vegan coconut ice creme... i thought i was in... heaven maybe? so good. so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica- You would so love these egg rolls!

    Dirty Duck-I got it at a Mediterranean store actually! It's very very finally ground coffee. Yes he does it on his own, but I trained him to do it from when he was little I think. I used to always make him stretch up like that for treats :)

    Sara- I always think it's hilarious when they do that!

    Shen- Haha, so apparently he can be "prairie doggin", "penguining", or "meirkatting" :) I love the idea of all of them! I can't wait for you to try a lava flow!

    Michelle- Thanks Michelle and do let me know if you try any of the recipes :)

    Dreaminitvegan-No problem! Let me know if she likes it, if you make it for her! I love Turkish coffee! Look into it! My husband found it at a local Mediterranean grocery.

    Rose- Come to think of it, he is penguiny too! I am glad you like the recipes! I always hope to post recipes that others will try :)

    Molly-The egg rolls were awwwwwesoooome. Rahjah is a little cutey :)

    HayMarket-I totally agree :)

    Anonymous- Thanks for the recipe. Could it be veganized?

    Rebecca- Haha, yes it's some thick coffee, but the flavors amazing! I am glad to inspire you to drink kale! And vegan ice cream really is amazing :) You seem to be doing so well as a vegan so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your sweet prayers. Almost all better. Although all the foods look awesomely delish, Rahjah gets 5 stars and thumbs up! LOL. That's the best pic. I have to show it to David when he gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks i will keep "turkish coffee" in mind the next time im in a city other than this small one!lol ttysoon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails